My Golf Spy

My Golf Spy
My Golf Spy Forums

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Glen Pierce, Beach Native, Loving Family Man and Golf Lover!





What is your official title and how many years have worked for the company:
[Heron Ridge] PGA Director of Golf…Just celebrated my 10 year anniversary last April 1st

Where did you go to high school:

[Heron Ridge] Kempsville High School in Va Beach


How long did play competitive golf, and who did you play for:

[Heron Ridge] From the time I was 12 years old through College…I played collegiate golf at Campbell University in North Carolina


How did you get started working in the golf industry and how long have you:

[Heron Ridge] I began picking up driving range balls at 13 for $25/week and golf privileges…ever since I had golf in my blood


What’s the biggest challenge you face today for the courses:

[Heron Ridge] This year strangely enough has been weather and not the economy…or at least the weather has ‘shaded’ us of realizing how much our play is affected by both. We have had it pretty easy in the golf industry for the past several years…offer a fair price and excellent conditions and the people will come. Now it seems people are holding off spending on some of their disposable income and our rounds have been affected. You learn a lot about your business and the people working for you in this type of economy…We have a great staff at both our clubs that have been stepping up to help us get through this tough time!




Who is your favorite golfer?

[Heron Ridge] Growing up I was a huge Tom Watson fan…but now it’s Fred Couples. I guess I like all the guys who struggle with the ‘flat stick’?

List anything personal you want to say about yourself, your passion for golf and the family. Make sure you give me a little on the charity work you have been doing, I know Bob has spoken often about it, so I can plug it for you.

[HERON RIDGE] – I don’t play nearly as much as I did back in the day (High School, College and a few years after) but I do still get it around the course alright…I love the golf business and knowing that everyday is going to be a little different than the previous…I will be married to my wife Jenny for 9 years this June and I have 2 children. A 4 1/2 and a 2 year old…so that keeps me busy. In the past couple of years my passion has moved into riding a road bike for exercise to keep in shape. The event that keeps me motivated now is every year the MS 150 on Virginia’s Eastern Shore. I started a bike team last year…I am happy to report since its inception in January of 2008, 20+ team members have raised more than $65,000 towards research into a cause and a cure for Multiple Sclerosis.

I was diagnosed with MS in March of 2006 but I refuse to let that define me!

This is Glen's Bio, and if there is ever somebody who want's you to play your best golf and have fun, it's Glen. Stop by Heron Ridge or VB National and say hello!

Glen Pierce, Head PGA Professional
• Married 8 years to Jenny; 2 Daughters, Claire & Grace
• Labrador retriever, “Georgia”
• Graduated Kempsville High School, Virginia Beach, VA; 1987
• Kempsville High School Golf Team 1984-1987
• Campbell University, Buies Creek, NC; 1991
• Campbell University Golf Team 1987-1992
• PGA Member since 1995.

Employment History
• Head PGA Professional, Heron Ridge Golf Club; 1998 – Present
• Head Golf Professional, Stumpy Lake Golf Course; 1994 – 1998
• Assistant Golf Professional, Cypress Point CC; 1992 - 1994

Playing Achievements
• 1986 Norfolk City Junior Champion
• 1987 Virginia Beach Junior Champion
• 1987 Tidewater Junior Champion
• 1987 State “Big I” Champion
• 1987 Runner Up, Regional High School Championship
• 1991-92 Co-Captain Campbell University Golf Team
• 2003 Norfolk Sports Club Pro-Am Champion

No comments:

Post a Comment