My Golf Spy

My Golf Spy
My Golf Spy Forums

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Myrtle Beach in Trouble?

I am responding to a rumor, a couple of blogs, and a great site I love and read all the time. The economy has to be affecting golfers, and the great city of Myrtle Beach is a golfer's paradise. I think the troubles reports by other places are a bit over stated, so here is my response:

Myrtle Beach in Trouble?

Good Morning once again!

My name is John Barry, avid golfer (not a good one, but I love golf), large group trip coordinator, and someone who feels to be part of the Myrtle Beach community, even though I live in Virginia. I follow the golf courses, the news, the conditions, the packages, and golf in general for Myrtle Beach through web sites, forums like www.golfrewind.com, package provider’s sites, and golf blogs.

My current group e-mail string has over 100 people who have been on past trips through me, or are going on my current trip which is June 25th. I have 52 people currently going this year, and we are playing Long Bay, Litchfield, Willbrook Plantation, Blackmoor and Myrtle Beach National West. Three nights and 5 rounds, with a price tag of 285.00 per person, staying in the Grand Villa’s at World Tour. In years past, the price of our trips have been as low as 220.00 a person, to last year’s high of 355.00 per person. I have used Barbie Chestnut, at Beach Vacations, for the past 5 years, and even though it’s a cut throat market, I have stuck with her based on price, service, and her personal touch.

Last year’s trip saw us in Myrtle in June, and it was booming still, even though summer is their off season. We are all late 30s to 40 years old, but we act like we are in our 20s. We have some very good scratch golfers, but the bulk of us are in the 90s. Needless to say, we not only played golf, but we ate out, we went to bars, the beach and of course the infamous gentlemen’s clubs. I have to say, the economy showed no ill effects.

I have spoken with my contacts, and as of the spring, Golf was right on track with past years. Bear in mind also, there was an increase of tee time fee set as of last September by the Myrtle Beach Golf Association based on increased fertilizer prices, and upkeep. The value this year is in the lodging, there is a glut of lodging with the home/condo building boom at an end. This is where you can save some money, of course there are golf packages set forth by the Association and individual properties that are great values also. Replay rates are down, as are last minute tee times, you have some room to move there.

I will be more than happy to provide a review of the golf, the trip, Myrtle Beach and the Economy in general when we come back. I think the more information we share as golfers talking to golfers, is invaluable. A lot of sites are slated towards their courses, and them making money, and you get very biased reviews. I really like the guys at www.mbga.com for unbiased information (which you quoted) but I wish they updated more.

John Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment