My Golf Spy

My Golf Spy
My Golf Spy Forums

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

How to Start Golfing, with Help from Jamie Smith


HOW TO START PLAYING GOLF, ON A BUDGET!

PLEASE INTRODUCE YOURSELF AND TELL US WHAT YOU DO:


Jamie D. Smith, PGA
I run a Golf School at Lynnhaven Golf Park, Virginia Beach, as well as Ocean View Golf Course in Norfolk VA.

HOW MANY YEARS OF EXPERIENCE TEACHING GOLF DO YOU HAVE?


I have only been in the business for around seven years. I also taught Martial Arts for 10, and was an instructor in the US Air Force, which I am now retired.

CAN YOU GIVE US YOUR PHILOSOPHY WHEN TEACHING A NEW PLAYER?

I believe that we all want to learn. It is not impossible to learn a sport for ourselves, but to be good or even great we must get help. The golf swing is no exception. My study of the golf swing and my experience in teaching Martial Arts has helped me understand the lever system and core rotation needed to deliver a precise blow to an object. This knowledge has helped me become an effective teacher of the game. It is my personal obligation to pass the knowledge given to me to golfers of all levels. I too must learn and continually seek more education in order to provide the best and most complete lesson plan. I have been teaching throughout my career and feel I am, and will be a great asset to the sport of golf.

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND A NEW PLAYER DO WHEN JUST STARTING OUT?


I would not recommend they go buy clubs until they see a Professional and take a couple lessons to make sure the commitment is going to be there. Once the decision is yes, then talk to the Pro about the best options.

WHAT DOES A NEW PLAYER LOOK FOR IN HIS FIRST IRONS/DRIVER PURCHASE?


This is a tough question. The age, gender, wealth, budget, parents and other things may way heavily on that decision. If we are talking new equipment, then I suggest a custom fitting with the Teaching Pro that is working with them. If we are talking used, then let the Pro make suggestions.

WHAT’S THE BEST VALUE, LESSON WISE, A NEW GOLFER CAN TAKE ADVANTAGE OF?


Look for someone at a public facility that is PGA qualified. Most offer a series of lessons that will cost less than pay per lesson.

ANY THOUGHTS, COMMENTS, OR WISDOM TO SHARE WITH A NEW GOLFER?


The best advice that I can give is be patient. The golf you see on TV is done by very skilled and trained athletes. For example, if they were in the Medical Profession, they would be of the highest skilled surgeons in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment